Have you been hurt in an accident that was no fault of your own and require injury legal services? Navigating the realm of law is a difficult feat for those without knowledge of the field. Personal injury lawyers are extremely beneficial for defending your case and getting you the compensation, you deserve. To best understand why you may want to consult with a Muskegon injury attorney, you should learn their role in the legal world, as well as what advantages they can provide for you.
Firstly, an injury lawyer is a legal aid that specializes in tort law. This area of law covers civil wrong doings, especially those committed against another person. There are three categories of tort, intentional torts, negligent torts, and strict liability torts. Intentional torts are when a person deliberately harms another, negligent is when a person accidentally harms another due to their own negligence, and strict liability tort is when a person has been harmed by tort and can prove the defendant responsible; a good example of this is a dog bite attack. An injury attorney is necessary to help classify tort and assist the plaintiff with obtaining damages from tort.
Examples of Torts that a Nolan & Shafer Injury Attorney can Assist With:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Wrongful Death
- Workplace Accidents
Personal injury law attorneys spend years learning about tort and are experts in their field. A student must complete a total of seven years of schooling, which includes obtaining a 4-year law degree from an accredited university and then another three years of law school. After a student has graduated from law school, they must pass the bar with a score of at least 135. In Michigan, the bar is a two-day exam that is offered twice per year. The Michigan Bar is not the same as the Uniform Bar Exam, which allows those who have passed to transfer their score from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Michigan bar results are typically posted six to nine weeks after exam date. In order to be admitted to the bar, a prospective lawyer must be sworn into court. After being admitted, a future law practitioner must apply for a license to practice with the State Bar of Michigan.
Even after considerable years of education, new accident injury lawyers should obtain continuing legal education credits, but again this varies by state. There are currently no CLE requirements for local injury lawyers in Michigan, but they may continue to take courses if they please and should stay up to date on new laws to best compete in their field. Another avenue many new lawyers take is joining an association, like the Michigan Association for Justice, which improves communities and educates lawyers on how to provide excellence for their clients. Lawyers will typically build a network and consider whether to join a firm or start their own.
Now that you’ve seen what it takes to become a lawyer, it’s time to trust that they have your best interest in mind. There are numerous advantages to inquiring about injury legal services, the first is that at Nolan & Shafer, consultations are free.
Other Benefits of a Personal Injury Lawyer Include:
- Case Building – A legal professional knows how to thoroughly obtain documents to build the strongest case for you possible. They can also help you decide whether it’s best to settle for compensation or file a suit.
- Valuing a Claim – Without an injury lawyer, you may not know how much compensation you can receive from a claim. Sure, there are calculators out there, but having a professional party with hundreds of victories under their belt is a huge advantage. Lawyers can help evaluate the extent of your injuries as well as understand how the insurance company might fight back, which takes us to our next topic.
- Tackling Insurance Companies – Insurance companies may try to get you to settle with as little as they can get away with, but a proper injury attorney will help you increase your chances of receiving a higher payout.
- Negotiating – Receiving a higher settlement is a matter of negotiations. Lawyers know what’s considered reasonable and fair and are able to maneuver the justice system with more ease than the claimant.
- Provide Peace of Mind – Lawsuits are stressful, as are dealing with any injuries that resulted in the suit in the first place. Experienced injury attorneys take a burden off your shoulders with their professionalism, prowess, and purpose.
Hiring an injury attorney after you’ve been in an accident is akin to going to the doctor when you’re feeling ill. If you want the best care and best experience, you go with a professional rather than try to manage on your own. With years of education and training, the legal aids at Nolan & Shafter can assist you to better understand the legal process and possible outcomes of your claim.